This course covers the different types of fungi, their growth, physiology, behavior and their roles in biotechnology. We will address the main activities of fungi as human pathogens, their mode of infection, methods of identification, different mycotic diseases, treatment and susceptibility testing. Also, we will tackle the extensive terminology that has developed over many decades. At the end of this course the student should have sufficient basic science of the medically important fungi to assist him in diagnosing mycotic diseases. Another objective is to impart the student sufficient clinical knowledge to raise his index of suspicion for mycotic diseases.
Fungal Classification, Structure and Replication. Mechanisms of Fungal Pathogenesis. Antifungal Agents. Laboratory Diagnosis of Fungal Diseases. Specimen Collection and Handling. Superficial, Cutaneous and Subcutaneous Mycoses, Systemic Mycoses, and Opportunistic Mycoses. Fungi and industrial applications. Fungi as model systems to approach complex problems in biology.
1. Fungi culture: Rhizopus nigricans, Aspergillus flavus, Penicillium frequentans, Alternaria, Fusarium, Cladosporium,Verticilium, Stemphylium, Chaetomium, Botritix
2. Identification of some groups of Fungi human pathogenic: Superficial (Microsporum, Trichophyton, Epidermopyton), Cutaneous and Subcutaneous Mycoses (Sporothrix, Phialophora, Blastomyces), Systemic Mycoses (Coccidioides, Histoplasma, Cryptococcus, Candida albicans)
3. Alcohol fermentation process.
4. Other experiments will be designed to meet the course requirements.
- Deacon, J.W. (1997) Modern Microbiology. Third Edition, Blackwell Science. ISBN 0-632-03077-1
- Maheshwari, R. (2005) Fungi: Experimental Methods in Biology. Mycology, volume 24, Taylor and Francis, CRC Press. ISBN 1-57444-468-9
- Ulloa, M. and Hanlin, R.T. (2001) Illustrated Dictionary of Mycology. Second Printing, APS Press. ISBN 0-89054-257-0
- Conant, N.F., Smith, D.T., Baker, R.D., and Callaway, J.L. (1971) Manual of Clinical Mycology. Third Edition, W. B. Saunders Company. ISBN 0-7216-2646-7