This course primarly aims to deepen the knowledge of the student in genesis and evolution of climatic phenomena. The impact of climate and its variations (climate change) on living organisms will also be discussed. The focus will be then on the particularities of the Mediterranean climate and, in particular, that of Lebanon.
The second part is devoted to the study of vegetation in relation to environmental factors. Characteristics and methods of study of phytocoenosis will be examined to highlight the dynamism and evolution of plant communities. The student will understand the importance of these characteristics in the process of planning, conservation of biodiversity and sustainable development.
Generalities: field of study; definitions.
- Factors of differentiation and balance in the atmosphere.
- Elements of climate.
- Ecological role of climatic factors.
Classification of climates
- Methodology and classification criteria.
- Biogeographic Classification.
- The climate of Lebanon.
- "Climate Change" and bioclimatic modifications.
Relations mutuelles entre une phytocénose et son biotope
- Mutual relations between phytocenoses and their biotops
- Climatic, hydric and edaphic determinism of vegetation.
- Action of vegetation on the climatope, the hydrotrope and edaphotope.
Study of plant communities
- Levels and methods of study.
- Dynamism and evolution of vegetation.
- Distribution of vegetation in Lebanon
- Aspects of phytoecological planning and sustainable management of forest ecosystems.
BIOV 413: TS/LAB Bioclimatology and Phytoecology
Sessions of TD and LAB are designed to enable students to master the handling of graphics related to the climatic characteristics and, subsequently, to make analysis and synthesis.
Ecological mapping exercises on Lebanese maps will allow the understanding of the variation of biotic and abiotic factors across Lebanon.
Field trips are an opportunity to explore these in situ parameters; case studies will be transcribed in the form of summary report.
Analysis and synthesis of climatic parameters in Lebanon, highlighting the specificity of the climate of Lebanon and the correlation between climate and vegetation.
- Ecological mapping (in the laboratory)
- Study of Lebanese phytocenoses (field trips) + Reports.