Biodiversity is a reflection and result of interactions between living things and their environment. This module first addresses the various concepts, levels, dimensions and means for measuring biodiversity. Understanding of biodiversity values makes students aware through reflection about the importance of issues resulting from a loss of biodiversity, ranging from process of maintaining ecosystem functions to the implications of the conservation of biodiversity in the well-being of humanity
The concept of biodiversity:
- Factors of biodiversity: speciation, selection, extinction, adaptation ...
- Definitions, CBD.
- Levels, dimensions and types.
- Indices and indicators.
State of biodiversity in the world:
- Gradients distribution.
- Endemism and critical areas (hot spots).
- Variation and trends.
- Values intrinsic, ecological, conservation, socio-cultural, economic and legal.
- Value and type of management.
Issues of biodiversity:
- Usefulness of biodiversity conservation and management, biotechnology, health and well-being.
- Biodiversity, governance and policy.
Biodiversity in Lebanon: fauna, flora and ecosystems.