At the end of the course the student will have acquired a general idea about the different types of parasites and medical importance in the diagnosis of pathology and fight against the parasites in their various stages of development.
The student will have a general idea about diseases and complications.
Finally the student should be able to compare the different types of parasites in each class and each class by its branch.
Subjects Title Sources Hours
1 Generalities, introduction, classification of parasites, References 2
2 METAZOAN PARASITES : Helminthes
Oviparous: 1-Buccal infection by egg:
• Pinworms: Enterobius vermicularis (Enterobiasis) 4
• Roundworms: Ascaris lumbricoides (Ascariasis)
• Whipworms: Trichuris trichiura (Trichuriasis)
3 2- Transcutaneous infection by larvae
• Hookworms:Ankylostoma duodenalis, Necator Americanus(Ankylostomiasis)3
• Strongyloide stercoralis (Anguillulosis)
• Larva migrans
•.Trichinella spiralis (Trichinosis) 6
- Cutaneous filariasis (Loa loa, Dracunculus Medinensis, Onchocerca volvulus)
- Lymphatic filariasis (Wuchereria Bancrofti and Brugia Malayi)
-Plathelminthes (Flatworms) 5 Cestodes
- Taenia: Taenia saginata, Taenia solium and cysticercosis 5
- Diphyllobothrium latum (Bothriocephalosis)
-Hymenolepis nana (Hymenolepiasis)
-Echinococcus granulosis, multilocularis (Echinococcosis)
-Schistosomes (Bilharziasis) 3
-Fasciola hepatica (Distomatosis) (large and small fluke)
•Pseudopodia: Entamoeba histolytica (Amoebiasis) 5
•Flagellates: -Giardia Lamblia (Duodenalis)
-Trichomonas vaginalis (Trichomoniasis)
-Trypanosoma Brucei and Cruzi (Trypanosomiasis)
-Plasmodiums species (Paludism, malaria) 6
-Toxoplasma gondii (Toxoplasmosis)
• Ciliates: -Balantidium coli ()
• Others: Rickettsiosis
9 ECTOPARASITES Arthropoda
• Insects (lice, bedbugs, fleas and flies, mosquitoes lacewing fly) 2
• Arachnids: mites (Sarcoptes scabei, Demodex follicularum)
10 Fight against vectors Total 36 hours
Prepared by: Dr Houria Khatir Zeaiter
Dr Houria Khatir
Faculty of sciences
BioA 409, Work lab Parasitology (2 credits)
Fiche de cours
code Title Semester Credits C TP Total
BioA 409 TP Parasitologie S1M1 2 24h 24h
Departement of sciences
Prerequired Course: none
Practical work session is to help the students to understand a large part of the most used in clinical parasitological laboratory for the parasite and the identification for the purpose of clinical diagnosis, research and technology.
During the exercises, students should be able to identify under the microscope parasites through annotated diagrams.
At the end of this course, students will recognize the different types of parasites, their form at different stages of their evolution. Also identify and compare parasites and classified in their own phylum.
In the end about differential characters of major pests and diseases transmitted by them.
_ Ann 0'Fel 5e édition 1992 parasitologie mycologie
_ Nouveau Larousse médicale 1981
_ Revue du praticien 1988 Paris
_ Clinical laboratory of HGBU hospital Beirut
Exam and distribution percentage:
Activity Reports to lab 20 %
Research project 20 %
Final exam 50 %